Click on one of the people below to find out more information.
1909 - Audi Automobilwerke is Established in Zwickau
In 1909 August Horch had a dispute with the supervisory board of A. Horch & Cie. Motorwagen-Werke AG and as a result, left the company he had begun. Shortly after, on July 16, 1909, he established a second company, Horch Automobil-Werke GmbH, in the same city. Horch lost the ensuing legal dispute over the company name. His solution was to use the Latin translation of his name (which means "hark!"). The new company name, Audiwerke GmbH, became effective on April 25, 1910.
1931 - The World's First Volume-built Car With Front-wheel Drive
In August 1928, J. S. Rasmussen acquired the majority of shares in Audiwerke AG in Zwickau. Here, beginning in 1931, he produced the DKW small car with front-wheel drive in large numbers. The small car had a wooden body covered in imitation leather and the standard DKW two-stroke engine. This design formed the basis for one of the most successful German small cars of the 1930s, over 250,000 of which were produced at Zwickau plant until 1942.
1968 - Audi Ventures into the Upper Mid-size Class
On November 26, 1968, Auto Union invited dealers and the press to attend the presentation of the newly designed Audi 100 at the Ingolstadt City Theatre. This model, developed by chief engineer Dr. Ludwig Kraus, took Audi into the competitive market segment of the upper mid-size class for the first time. The Audi 100 quickly became a bestseller and formed the basis for a new Audi model series that ensured the future independence of the Audi brand.